Can You Take Human Ashes on Swiss International Air Lines?
In such a sensitive and overwhelming time, getting clear and precise information is crucial. Based on our personal experience with Swiss International Air Lines, we can confirm that they do permit the transportation of human ashes, subject to specific guidelines and procedures.
Swiss International Air Lines Ashes Policy
Swiss International Air Lines stipulates that human ashes must be transported in hand luggage, as they are not allowed in checked baggage.
Want us to fly with the ashes instead?
Find out more…
Required Documentation for Carrying Ashes on Swiss International Air Lines
Be prepared with all necessary documents. This should include:
- Death Certificate: This should be the original or a certified copy.
- Cremation Certificate: This too needs to be original or a certified copy.
- While you may potentially fly without a death certificate, having the Cremation Certificate is absolutely essential.
Swiss International Air Lines Ashes Container Guidelines
The urn or container for the ashes should be constructed from a material that is transparent to X-rays, such as wood or plastic, to facilitate security screenings at the airport. Because opening the urn may be sensitive, it’s crucial that airport security can see its contents via X-ray. And the container must be tightly sealed to prevent any spillage.
Also, please be aware of the size and weight limitations of the hand baggage carrying the urn/container. Below are the specific requirements for hand baggage for each class:
- SWISS Economy: One piece allowed, maximum weight 8 kg, maximum dimensions 55 x 40 x 23 cm.
- SWISS Business: Two pieces allowed, each with a maximum weight of 8 kg and dimensions of 55 x 40 x 23 cm.
- SWISS First: Two pieces allowed, each with a maximum weight of 8 kg and dimensions of 55 x 40 x 23 cm.
Adhering to these rules will help ensure a smooth travel experience.
We can travel instead?
We fly with the ashes personally.
Navigating Security Procedures for Ashes on Swiss International Air Lines
While your container will have to go through security checks, rest assured that Swiss International Air Lines staff will treat your loved one’s ashes with the respect and care they deserve. If a more thorough inspection is needed, you’ll be informed beforehand.
Here are some additional guidelines to make your experience of transporting ashes on Swiss International Air Lines as smooth as possible.
- Call Ahead: While we’ve given you the basics, it’s always a good idea to call ahead and confirm any specific concerns or requirements.
- Be Early: Due to the sensitive nature of carrying human ashes, it’s advisable to arrive at the airport a bit earlier than you usually would.
- Double-Check Documents: Make sure you have all the required documentation to avoid any hiccups on the day of your travel.
Transporting a loved one’s ashes is a significant responsibility and it’s comforting to know that Swiss International Air Lines handles this sensitive matter with the respect and professionalism it deserves. We hope this guide will be of help to you during this difficult time.
So...If this guide has proven useful to you, we'd appreciate it if you'd share it with others who could benefit from it as well. If you've journeyed with ashes on Swiss International Air Lines, we invite you to leave a comment below to share your experience. Your feedback is highly valued by us. Our goal is to reduce the complications associated with traveling with ashes for anyone using Swiss International Air Lines.
How heavy is My URN?
What size is my URN?
Wizz Air Contact Details
Relax, we'll transport the ashes for you…
Offering a personal and dignified travel service. Utmost care. No hassle. Stress Free.