Can You Take Human Ashes on Finnair? A Comprehensive Guide Based on Our Experience
Travelling with a loved one’s ashes can be a sensitive topic. We have managed to gather essential information to assist those who find themselves in this unique situation. Here’s what we discovered when flying with Human Ashes on Finnair.
Finnair Ashes Policy
Finnair allows passengers to travel with cremated human remains, and you have two main options:
Carry-on Baggage: You may store the urn or sealed container in your carry-on bag (max weight 12kg). See below for our recommendations on why this option is advised.
Checked Baggage: Alternatively, you may place it in your checked luggage.
Want us to fly with the ashes instead?
Find out more…
Why Carry-On Baggage is Recommended for Ashes on Finnair
While both carry-on and checked luggage are options, we strongly recommend opting for carry-on baggage for transporting ashes. In fact, 95% of airlines only permit ashes in the cabin for several important reasons:
- The ashes are irreplaceable and hold significant emotional value.
- The risk of damage is considerably higher with checked luggage.
- The desire to keep your loved one close to you throughout the journey is a compelling reason to choose carry-on baggage.
- We have compelling evidence to suggest that in the near future, the airline will exclusively permit the transportation of ashes via carry-on baggage.
Mandatory Documents for Transporting Ashes on Finnair
Carrying a cremation and death certificate is non-negotiable when travelling with human ashes. This document serves as official proof and is a regulatory requirement.
Security Procedures: What to Expect
Security measures don’t make an exception for cremated remains. Be prepared for the following:
Security Screening: The sealed box or urn containing the ashes will undergo x-ray scanning at the airport security checkpoint.
Material Matters: If the urn is made of a material that prevents the x-ray screener from viewing its contents, the container will not be allowed through security.
We can travel instead?
We fly with the ashes personally.
- Choose an X-ray Friendly Urn: To ensure a smoother experience at the security check, consider an urn made of materials that are easily x-rayed, like wood or certain types of plastic.
- Keep the Documents Handy: Always keep the cremation and death certificate within easy reach for quick presentation when asked.
- Double-check with Customer Service: Although we’ve spoken with Finnair ourselves, regulations can change. A quick confirmation call close to your travel date is always wise.
So...If you've found value in this guide, please think about sharing it with others who might also find it useful. If you've had the experience of traveling with ashes on Finnair, we would be grateful if you could leave a comment below, providing details of your experience. Your input is greatly appreciated by us. Our mission is to make the process of traveling with ashes more manageable for anyone flying with Finnair.
How heavy is My URN?
What size is my URN?
Wizz Air Contact Details
Phone: +358 9 818 4020
Relax, we'll transport the ashes for you…
Offering a personal and dignified travel service. Utmost care. No hassle. Stress Free.