Can You Take Human Ashes on Austrian Airlines?
Travelling with human ashes can be a delicate subject, filled with uncertainty and emotions. Austrian Airlines each have their own policies and protocols for carrying human remains, so it’s important to know what you can and can’t do before you get to the airport. For further details on Austrian Airlines’ policy regarding the transportation of ashes, continue reading.
Want us to fly with the ashes instead?
Find out more…
Austrian Airlines Ashes Policy and Requirements
The customer service representative we spoke to was kind and professional, understanding the sensitivity of the topic. We were told that yes, you can travel with human ashes on Austrian Airlines, but there are a few key points to remember:
- Documentation: A death certificate and a cremation certificate are required.
- Packaging: The ashes must be securely sealed in a leak-proof, screw-top container made of non-metal material.
- Customs: You must notify the customs authorities both at the departure and arrival destinations. Although, based on our experience with other airlines, notifying customs isn’t usually necessary as long as you have the required documentation mentioned above, you will be fine.
Extra Steps: Precautions and Permissions
We also learned that while these are the basic requirements, some additional steps can smooth the process:
Advance Notice: Informing the airline in advance is not mandatory, but it can help.
Security Checks: Expect the container to go through security screening, so pack accordingly.
Cabin or Hold: You can either take the ashes as part of your carry-on or place them in the hold, but each has its own set of rules.
Cabin and Hold Guidelines for Ashes on Austrian Airlines
Passengers can bring one carry-on bag in Economy and Premium Economy, and two in Business Class. All carry-ons must fit within 55cm x 40cm x 23cm and weigh no more than 8kg. They should fit in the overhead bin or under the seat. Excess size or weight will incur fees and be checked into the hold. An additional personal item, not exceeding 40cm x 30cm x 10cm, is also allowed.
Consider these factors when flying with Austrian Airlines and ashes, especially if you’ll also be carrying additional items.
We can travel instead?
We fly with the ashes personally.
Our Tips for Transporting Ashes on Austrian Airlines
Based on our call, here are some recommendations:
- Call Ahead: Even though it’s not obligatory, giving the airline a heads up can only help.
- Documentation: Keep multiple copies of all necessary papers and perhaps even digital copies.
- Pack Carefully: Ensure that the container meets airline and security requirements to avoid any delays or problems.
So...If you've discovered value in this guide, please consider sharing it with others who may also find it beneficial. If you've had the experience of traveling with ashes on Austrian Airlines, we kindly ask that you leave a comment below, sharing your experience in detail. Your input is highly appreciated by us. Our mission is to help reduce the difficulties associated with traveling with ashes for individuals flying with Austrian Airlines.
How heavy is My URN?
What size is my URN?
Wizz Air Contact Details
Phone: +43 1 70148 1000
Relax, we'll transport the ashes for you…
Offering a personal and dignified travel service. Utmost care. No hassle. Stress Free.